Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Organize Your Closet Now

I am not, by nature, an overly organized person. Couple that my overly sentimental/ save everything mentality with my shopping addiction and then pack it into a 700 square foot apartment and you see where I am going. 

I hit my breaking point three years ago when my closets wouldn’t close. It was then I made it my mission to get organized. Before long I had shelves free, hanger space and a whole new outlook on space. How did I do it?


Throw It Out

  • Do you love it? 
  • Do you need it?
  • Do you use it?
You get my point.



Find It A Home

  • Donate it. 
  • Re-purpose it. (Tip: clean t-shirts, towels etc. that are not in the condition to be donated are perfect for cleaning.)
  • Give it away. If your sister, bestie, co-worker always loved those boots, why not give them to her. Make her smile. 


Ready, Set, Organize

  • Compartmentalize and stack. There are endless option from shelves (permanent or temporary,) baskets, totes, boxes, tension rods and racks. 
  • Non-slip hangers. Amazing. Available in a variety of colors.
  • Use specialized hangers for ties and scarves. Lifesavers.
  • Use garment bags for formal wear, full length, beaded/ sequined clothing and coats. 
  • Hang clothing facing in the same direction. 
  • Use vacuum seal bags for out of season clothes, spare comforters, towels, etc. You will be fascinated by the amount of space you discover.
  • Store shoes in original boxes, plastic boxes, shelves, or on sturdy shoe racks. Just no piles!
  • Most important, use a system that works for you. I can’t stress this enough. If it doesn’t make sense for you, you won’t follow it.
(Tip: Label boxes, garment bags, boxes, etc. to save time looking for your items later. You won't regret the upfront effort.)


No comments:

Post a Comment